Social Worker needed in a Cancer Treatment Center in NY
The opportunity is located in central NY, with a top tier hospital system. In addition to providing health care services, this hospital invests in the future of health care by advancing medical education and medical research. As an academic medical center, these three commitments to excellence in health care services, educating practitioners and pursuing health research, have defined their mission for the more than eight decades.
Additionally, the Cancer Institute offers a nationally accredited, multidisciplinary team approach to cancer care, in an academic setting. Since nearly all forms of cancer call for more than one type of treatment, their medical, radiation and surgical oncologists work together to focus on the unique needs of each individual patient. You would be joining a multidisciplinary team of nutritionists, other social workers, drivers, financial advisors and nurse navigators. As you can imagine, the role of the social worker here is crucial as this is often such a hard time for all involved in the patient's life as well as for the patient themselves.
This Cancer Program has been continuously accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer since 1947, one of the longest, continuous accreditations in the nation. Be a part of something bigger here!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Social Worker is an active member of the psychiatry treatment team
- Responsible for the therapeutic relationship that includes addressing the complex bio-psychosocial needs of the patient
- Scope of practice includes, but is not limited to comprehensive assessment of those needs, diagnosis, treatment planning, advocacy, and resource identification and linkage
- Clinical social work in the outpatient setting includes using evidence based therapies to address the bio-psycho-social aspects of patient care such as adjustment to illness issues, pre surgical psychiatric evaluations, mental health, co-occurring disorders, etc.
- Outpatient Social Work role