Seeking a full time Medical Laboratory Technologist or Medical Technician ( MT or MLT ASCP ) to join a great team in Northern Maine.
This is a full time (permanent) role offering competitive compensation and benefits.
JOB SUMMARY AND SCOPE:
The Laboratory Technologist (MLT or MT) works under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager and is responsible for performing laboratory tests and accurately reporting results to the physician for use in the diagnosis, treatment and/or monitoring the treatment of diseases. The technologist also assists in the general operation of the laboratory, in quality assurance programs and in the maintenance of laboratory equipment.
Independent judgment, professional education, and National certification (AMT or ASCP) is required.
- Associate’s or Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Medical Technology or related area of specialty.
- Certification/registration or certification/registry eligible as a Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Technician is required.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, materials, equipment and techniques of medical technology.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs tasks, duties and/or complex tests in all areas of the laboratory assigned (hematology, immunohematology, immunology, bacteriology, microscopy, routine chemistry, therapeutic drug monitoring) according to established laboratory protocols and procedures.
- Performs phlebotomies, including arterial puncture, capillary punctures and venipunctures as appropriate for the patient requiring the procedure, applying age-specific criteria as appropriate.
- Processes specimens utilizing protocols and technical knowledge.
- Calibrates, standardizes and maintains instruments following established procedures.
- Performs quality control, preventive maintenance, troubleshooting protocols to ensure proper functioning of instruments, reagents, procedures.
- Prepares and maintains reagent supplies necessary to perform tests.
- Validates and reports results of tests performed, accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assists in the maintenance and development of laboratory policy and procedural manuals.
- Assists with orientation and teaching students and new employees.
- Researches and develops new procedures as assigned.
- Follows established safety practices including biohazards, exposure control plan (blood-borne pathogens), infection control to include universal precautions, employee right to know (hazardous chemicals), and chemical hygiene standard.
- Promotes effective working relationships and works effectively as part of a department / unit / team inter and intra departmentally to facilitate the department/unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
- Attends all inservice education as required by hospital, policy and national credentialing agency requirements.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
- Seeks out needed information by staying informed and involved by attending meetings, reading memos, policies, meeting minutes, newsletters, email and other appropriate information in a timely manner.
- Reliable attendance and punctuality, including observing appropriate break times and extending a scheduled shift when necessary to meet patient demands.
- Performs duties in a safe manner, in compliance with all safety policies and procedures.
- Complies with the Code of Conduct and all appropriate policies and procedures.
- Other duties, as assigned, relevant to the position and department.
For more details please submit your resume. You can also send it directly to [Register to View]
JOB ID: KD24224