Full-time Hematology Medical Technologist needed at a top hospital in the Buffalo, New York area!
(Reference Code: KAM)
This is a Varied shift (2nd & 3rd). The work involves performing hematologic and related tests on blood specimens within a clinical laboratory for use in diagnosis and treatment of patients including routine and special tests used in the preparation of blood and blood products. This is technical laboratory work involving the performance of a variety of testing procedures. Work is performed under the supervision of a higher ranking technical employee for assignment and review of work for conformance with established procedures. Does related work as required.
-Receives specimens and performs a variety of clinical tests including blood cell counts, platelet counts using manual and automated techniques, reticluocyte count, eosinophile count, and osmotic fragility test;
-Tests for abnormalities in blood coagulation and platelet function;
-Performs sickle screening and hemoglobin electrophoresis;
-Prepares special stains, including gram stains, makes reagents, stains specimens and microscopically evaluates results;
-Determines fetal hemoglobin and hemoglobin A2 percentages;
-Evaluates laboratory test data as to necessity for further processing of specimens;
-Communicates essential and critical laboratory data as rapidly as necessary for optimum patient care;
-Maintains and monitors adequate supply of blood and blood products;
-Performs a variety of quality control procedures including the checking of sera, reagent red cells, centrifuge speeds, temperature of freezers, refrigerators, water baths, heat blocks, etc;
-Collects specimens from patients which may include phlebotomy;
-Maintains records, keeps equipment clean and in working order.
* Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology Medical Technology or related title which meets the standards set forth in Title 8, Article 165 of New York State's Education Law and Subpart 79-13 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education; or:
* Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Biology and one (1) year of experience in hematology or blood banking; or:
* Possession of a license or limited permit to practice as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist as issued by the New York State Education Department.
* Eligibility for licensure or limited permit to practice as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist at time of application;
* Possession of a license or limited permit to practice as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist as issued by the New York State Education Department at time of appointment;
* Possession of a license to practice as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist as issued by the New York State Education at time of permanent appointment.
Offering competitive compensation and complete benefits!
For more information, please submit your resume for review.