Laboratory Assistant/Data Entry:
-Dermatopothoogy Laboratory in the Minneapolis area has a full time opening for a Laboratory Assistant in our specimen receiving area.
-Position is M-F days
-Medical terminology a plus
-Please submit your resume for more details
Essential Key Responsibilities:
- Receives, verifies, logs, and collects patient requisitions and specimens for technical testing.
- Opens and inspects all specimens to assure an accurate specimen count.
- Verifies patient requisitions for completeness of patient, client, and insurance information.
- Prepares and sorts patient requisitions, and identifies and interprets data to be entered into the information system.
- Follows proper procedures with specimen rejection, if patient, client, and insurance information is submitted incorrectly on source.
- Enters alphabetic, numeric, or symbolic data from patient requisitions, face sheets, or photocopy of patients’ insurance card, into the information system following format displayed on screen. May enter:
- client information (group name, referring physician, copy to physician, address, and phone and fax number)
- patient’s demographics (patient name, address, phone number, date of birth, social security number, gender, medical record number, and electronic medical record number)
- clinical history (past/present medical conditions, specifics of medical diagnosis or tests, treatment plans, family history, type of service, services received, dates of service, and provider of service)
- specimen gross description (size, shape, type of specimen, and gross code)
- billing type (client, patient, insurance, no charge)
- patient insurance information (insurance code, carrier name, policy number, group number, and address of insurance carrier)
- Reviews data entered with source documents and/or error reports and enters necessary corrections into the information system.
- May label requisitions, specimen containers, cassettes and/or slides and affixes coverslip to slides.
- Routes patient requisitions after entry.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and tracks all routine maintenance and quality controls performed.
- Monitors inventory, places supply order prior to depletion, stocks and maintains laboratory supplies.
- Files, retrieves, and distributes blocks, slides, and pathology reports.
- Operates, cleans, and sterilizes laboratory equipment, glassware, instruments, and workstation.
- Disposes of hazardous chemical waste per regulatory guidelines.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as well as company and departmental rules, polices, and procedural manuals.
- Adherence to CAP, CLIA, State Regulations, HIPAA, Safety and OSHA Regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED or equivalent work experience.
- State licensure, if applicable.