Title: Blood Bank / IRL Medical Laboratory Technologist
MT (ASCP) and/or BB (ASCP) /equivalent and 4 years IRL experience, or bachelors degree with major in
biological science or chemistry plus 8 years blood banking experience. (ASCP) or equivalent preferred. SBB
preferred. CA State license required.
Perform basic and advanced donor and patient tests and interpret results to determine donor-recipient
compatibility. Resolve compatibility problems; provide complex reference and consultation services to hospitals
and transfusion services. Perform automated and manual test procedures on blood samples. Perform advanced
manufacturing and processing procedures, as applicable. Adhere to explicit standard operating procedures and
interpret test results in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures, Safety Quality Identity
Potency Purity (SQUIPP), regulations outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Occupational Safety
and Health Administration (OSHA), Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), and other applicable
Federal, state and local regulations.
1. Manage receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples. Assist in daily
workflow of patient and donor work. Documents supply and equipment problems.
2. Manage reagent inventory including ordering, receiving, inspecting and preparing reagents.
3. Perform and interpret basic and complex donor and/or patient testing procedures and complete required
quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations. Recognize testing irregularities, identify the
cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem. Assist Technologist I and II in problem resolution.
4. Consult and communicate with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and
provide special units to transfusion recipients.
5. Perform labeling and verification of blood products.
6. Perform maintence, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software maintenance.
7. Perform duties associated with document development and management.
8. Maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping. Maintain
accurate, legible and complete records.
9. May perform manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
10. Perform duties associated with document management.
11. Adhere to procedures and good manufacturing practices (GMP).
12. Assume lead responsibilities such as record review and training. Assist in concern management.
13. Perform staff orientation and competency assessments, if applicable. Perform external customer education.
14. Perform other related duties as necessary.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are
not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified.
Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Computer skills.
Must be able to work independently and demonstrate independent problem solving skills. Provide training and
guidance to new technologist and technicians. Leadership skills. May involve variable locations and some travel.
On call responsibilities, as applicable.
The duties and responsibilities mentioned in the job description are representative of the essential functions of
the position. The performance management system incorporates competencies which are identified, discussed
and evaluated in order to meet operational milestones and which are tied to job families and titles. Three types
of competencies have been identified; Technical Competencies are job specific skills and methods, Core
Competencies are the abilities and behaviors expected of all Biomedical Services employees, Leadership
Competencies are specific abilities and behaviors required of those performing formal management roles or
other leadership roles (i.e. Project Leaders). Management and staff should contact Human Resources for further
details on the appropriate competencies for a specific position.
Reference Code: KC114