Hours are 4:00pm-2:30am
ABOUT VERTAVA HEALTH: Vertava Health is a leading national behavioral healthcare system for mental health and substance use disorders, providing a full continuum of services based on the individuals' varying needs at different times in their health and recovery journey. We apply evidence-based treatment modalities at every level of care and embed digital health tools to enhance and amplify clinical outcomes. With a growing list of Joint Commission accredited inpatient and outpatient locations across the country, a virtual care platform and a national network of healthcare providers, Vertava Health pioneers care that empowers people so that they can live out their best future.
In order to make this possible, we need an exceptional Medical Health Technician who can meet the requirements below. Think you have what it takes to help us change lives all over the country?
As a Medical Health Technician (MHT), you will support the nursing team and medical providers in caring for adult patients with substance use disorders. You will take vital signs, perform screenings, assist with intakes, and perform a variety of administrative tasks to ensure the nursing department functions safely and efficiently.
This role is appropriate for Certified Medical Assistants (CMAs), Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), as well as non-certified individuals eager to learn the required tasks and responsibilities and make a positive difference in the lives of our patients struggling with addiction. You will be part of a supportive, team-based approach that models collaborative, solution-based problem solving, and authentic communication.
Priority responsibilities include:
- Assist with mobility and ADLs (if necessary) in accordance with training/certification. Note: most patients are independent with ambulation and ADLs
- Check vitals signs and report abnormalities to nursing
- Perform urine drug screens, breathalyzer monitoring, blood glucose checks, and other point-of-care tests
- Remind patients to report to nursing for assessments, medications, or appointments
- Observe and report on patient behavior, presentation, safety, hygiene, etc.
- Participate in the Code Team response to medical emergencies
- Promote and protect each patient’s independence, privacy, dignity, and emotional and physical well being
- Copy, scan, fax, or electronically send medical records, prescriptions, insurance info, FMLA paperwork, etc.
- Obtain and document patient consents, release-of-information forms, primary care details, pharmacy information, prior medical records, etc.
- Answer phone calls and respond to radio and chat communications
- Maintain logs of fridge temperatures, AED readiness, Oxygen tank pressure, First Aid kit inventory, expiration dates, etc.
- Clean and disinfect medical equipment
- Schedule appointments with in-house and outside medical providers
- Other tasks and responsibilities to organize, maintain, and assist the nursing and medical departments to run safely and efficiently
Training and Competencies
- Learn about the disease model of addiction and evidence based treatments
- Learn and follow company-established policies and procedures, and maintain adherence to established skills and practice according to position and certifications
- Remain current with all required trainings and certifications
- Demonstrate accurate knowledge and proper techniques through completed competency checks and direct observations by an RN, DON, or other supervisor
- Receive biweekly supervision
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor
- Practice respectful, compassionate, supportive communication with patients and colleagues
Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Related professional certification preferred (CMA, CNA, EMT, etc.)
- Experience or interest in addiction treatment and/or behavioral health helpful
- Flexibility and aptitude for problem-solving
- Excellent collaborative and interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Positive energy : )
- Ability to use hands and fingers, talk or hear
- Ability to sit, stand, walk and reach continually. Ability to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch frequently
- Ability to frequently lift and carry up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Close vision required to see computer monitor, read documents, and operate copy and fax machine
- Work environment is indoors and climate controlled. Occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions