Histology / Grossing Assistant opportunity available in Nashville, TN
Monday-Friday: 5:00pm - 1:30am
The person in this position is qualified as a high complexity testing personnel under CLIA-88 regulations. This position is responsible for accessioning and some tissue grossing (lower complexity specimens) under the direction of the Pathologists and Pathologist Assistant.
- Accession all tissue specimens and make cassettes.
- Assist pathologist and pathologist assistants in cutting room.
- Gross and submit tissues under the direction of the pathologists and pathologist assistants.
- Perform frozen sections (location dependent).
- Properly hang tissue on the processors.
- Responsible for determining/selecting specimens for grossing.
- Photograph specimens (Polaroid, digital, and 35 mm).
- Prepare tissue to be sent out for further testing such as Lymphoma Phenotyping, Quantitative Iron studies, etc.
- Make rounds with/without the pathologist, when needed.
- Check campus surgery schedules for probable frozen sections, collect specimens from all campus surgery locations ensuring they are properly listed, and check the surgery board for add cases, cancels, and late specimens (location dependent).
- Records the number of cases daily, maintains the log of decal specimens, and keeps quality control charts on equipment in the accession and cutting room.
- Prepare routine solutions, maintain an inventory of supplies and store in proper location and keep a clean work area.
- Responsible for proper disposal and handling of hazardous waste to include xylene recycling (i.e. xylene, reagent alcohol, formaldehyde, B5) and dispose of specimens according to procedures.
- Perform routine maintenance on cryostats, both in house and in outlying hospitals (location dependent).
- Review procedure manuals and stay current with procedural changes that have occurred.
EDUCATION & LICENSURE:
Must be qualified as high complexity testing personnel under CLIA-88 regulations. The minimum training/experience required of such personnel is:
- An earned associate degree in a laboratory science or medical laboratory technology, obtained from an accredited institution, OR
- Education/training equivalent to the above that includes at least 60 semester hours or equivalent from an accredited institution. This education must include 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses, OR 24 semester hours of science courses that includes 6 semester hours of chemistry, 6 semester hours of biology, and 12 semester hours of chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology in any combination. In addition, the individual must have laboratory training including either completion of a clinical laboratory training program approved or accredited by the ABHES, the CAHEA, or other organization approved by HHS (note that this training may be included in the 60 semester hours listed above), OR at least 3 months documented laboratory training in each specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.
In addition, the CLIA-88 regulations include exceptions for grandfathered individuals.
- Minimum of one year of previous health care environment job-related experience is preferred but not required.
For more information please submit your resume.
(Job ID: KD3)