Seeking a Permanent Part-Time Histotechnologist!
This opportunity is with a not-for-profit medical center based right on the Chesapeake Bay! They are nationally recognized for their joint replacement center, emergency heart attack response and cancer care. They are also a leader in women's services, and are ranked for number of births annually and have a Level III NICU. They are licensed for over 400 beds and are one of the state's busiest hospitals.
Performs the various tasks required for receiving, processing, and preparing patient tissue samples for microscopic examination and analysis by the Pathologist.
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintains inter-and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies. Conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Provides histology information by answering questions and requests.
- Performs embedding, sectioning, special stains, immunohistochemistry, frozen sections, with appropriate supervision if required.
- Operates and maintains laboratory instrumentation. Performs preventative maintenance and troubleshoots problems to the full extent of ability.
- Actively participates in the laboratory quality plan/program. Performs quality controls and documents QC for each lab procedure on a daily basis and troubleshoot.
- Clinical education in a Histotechnician (HT) program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for the Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or an Associate's Degree in a related field from a accredited college or university and training at a hospital.
- Preferred Qualifications: At least one year of experience working in an acute care facility as a HT or HTL.
- HT (ASCP) or HTL (ASCP) or eligible. Certification must be attained within one year of hire.