Lead Microbiology Laboratory Technologist:
Full Time Permanent Day Shift position.
Summary of Position: Coordinates day to day technical activities and assists manager to ensure smooth and efficient operation of the laboratory to provide quality patient care.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Leadership: In the absence of manager, oversees the daily operations of Microbiology and maintains effective laboratory service to clients. Reports problems in Microbiology (technical, operational, quality, service) to manager. Assists manager with inspection readiness and development of technical procedures, hospital antibiograms and other informational materials. Delegates tasks, as needed, to department technologists to meet operational goals. Participates on the scheduling committee representing Microbiology, hospital infection preventions committees, and other committees as assigned. Assists Lab Safety Officer with infectious agent hazard surveillance, packaging/shipping training, and bioterrorism readiness.
- Clinical: Monitors effectiveness of reference lab testing and reporting, and identifies and implements process improvements. Identifies and corrects errors. Identifies unusual or actionable test results, and communicates with lab leadership personnel, infection prevention practitioners and patient care personnel as appropriate. Monitors NYSDOH reportable infectious agents and assures timely and accurate reporting. Monitors technical performance and provides retraining as needed. Performs all job functions of a Clinical Laboratory Technologist in the Microbiology Laboratory.
- Quality Control: Reviews all QC for the department, taking corrective action as necessary. Ensures all QC is submitted for manager review. Investigates and takes action on outliers. Evaluates quality control data and documentation to ensure compliance within tolerance limits, quality patient test results and proper instrument functioning; identifies any persistent problem or situation that requires additional action and provides follow up to resolve issues. Serves as Microbiology representative on QA committee. Prepares monthly QA reports, including tracking issues, trends, service calls.
- Equipment Oversight: Oversees maintenance of all instruments and equipment, ensuring proper function, scheduled maintenance and documentation. Evaluates all analyzer QC and method correlations. Performs new instrument and equipment validations. Oversees all new lot/new shipment testing.
- Inventory Management: Maintains inventory control/documentation, including weekly ordering and annual standing orders. Prevents shortages, overstocked items and expired materials.
Management of Staff: Coordinates/assigns proficiency testing. Facilitates training, competency, and documentation of these activities. Communicates technical updates or changes to laboratory personnel. Monitors daily operation, coordinates with leadership in other lab units, and reassigns staff as needed.
- Information Systems: Builds/Updates LIS (test and live) with new QC/reagent lots and materials as necessary. Builds and validates instrument interfaces and auto verification. Builds lab tests and assists with manual billing.
Additional Responsibilities: Microbiology Lead Technologist must work his/her scheduled weekend rotation and support department absences and vacancies as available.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; Minimum of six (6) years pertinent clinical laboratory experience subsequent to qualifying as a technologist of which two (2) years have been spent working within a clinical Microbiology laboratory having a director at the doctorial level.
At least 2 years of laboratory supervisory or in-charge experience is preferred.
Certifications / Licensure: Licensed by NYS Department of Education (SED) as a clinical laboratory technologist. Must have six years’ experience as a NYS SED licensed clinical laboratory technologist.
For more details submit your resume for review. You can also send it directly to [Register to View]
JOB ID: KD2321